Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Little Drummer Boy Got It Right



While shopping today for Christmas dinner I was amazed at how much "stuff" is out there for gifts. Things advertised "Under $10, Under $20" Things for the Tech Geek..Things for the Fashonista..Things for everyone on your list...It actually made me a little sad. Christmas isn't about the gifts, at least those kind of gifts. This year I really don't want anything, at least not anything from a store. iPad 2? Awesome..don't want it. A new smartphone? My old dumb phone is fine. New clothes? I like my old ones just fine...What I want doesn't come from a store. What I want is simple. I want my family to be safe. I want my friends to be happy. Having Grant home with me on Christmas day is perfect. Having my amazing son happy? Couldn't ask for more.

Driving home from the dreaded store, I heard one of my most favorite Christmas carols of all time (and if you turn on your speaker, the song should be playing in the background) "The Little Drummer Boy" makes me smile every time I hear it. Today, it meant even more. Today, it showed me what a real gift is.

This little boy has nothing of earthly value to give the new born King, so he gives his talent. His God given talent. What better gift is there?

Macen doing well in school, being kind, using his manners is a fantastic gift. When Grant makes dinner, of takes out the trash without being asked..that is an AMAZING gift. When a person gives of themselves, there is nothing better. Maybe it's because I'm old, or maybe it's because I truly have everything I need, I don't know..but whatever the reason, I don't need anything under the tree.All I need is sitting around the tree with me! So, while you open your gifts this year, remember, the greatest gift isn't wrapped in paper....

No comments: