Saturday, December 10, 2011

How The Grinch Saved Christmas!





















"He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!"






Every year since I can remember, I have watched the original "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"



I love it. I know it by heart. I think Dr. Seuss showed the true meaning of Christmas with this story. My Christmas wouldn't be the same if I didn't watch this show.






When I was a little girl I remember my moms friend "Ma Dip" (yes, that's what we called her) would come over and tell us this story..she didn't read it..she told it to us from memory. It was so great. I remember getting lost in the story as she told it. I loved those times. She did it every year..even as I got older and thought I was too "Cool" for Christmas, I would always get excited when Ma Dip did her thing.






I realized, much later in life, that Ma Dip's telling of the Grinch kept my Christmas spirit alive. I figured if an "old lady" could have the Christmas spirit, then so could I. Her telling that story every year, kept the "Grinchyness" out of my heart.



When I see what greed can do to Christmas, and I start feeling a little "Grinchy" I read the story to my son, or we watch it on TV, and I remember that Christmas comes without ribbons. It comes without tags. It comes without packages, boxes, or bags! Christmas comes no matter what. It comes because the Spirit of Christmas will never really die. It might get lost on occasion, but we find it. We feel it, even when we try not to. Christmas means more. The Grinch discovered it at the last possible moment..I know that all of us can...and gather together to carve the roast beast!

No comments: